Wednesday, November 29, 2006

My 1st Solo Headlamp Run

Today was my first full day back to work after a nice LOOOOOONG Thanksgiving Vacation. I took 10 days off and enjoyed the indulgence of down time, project time and some major quality family time.

Today my first client was at 7am and I worked non-stop through to 4:30pm with no lunch break. Paisley has private voice lessons in Indian Trail on Wednesdays @ 5pm. It was looking like I was not going to get my run in today before dark. However to my surprise, tonight Adam was home early and offered to take Paisley to her voice lesson for me so I could go do my run before dark and before we all shared a family dinner together. Awesome gift from Adam to me.





By the time I changed my clothes it was dark :o(
I never run at night by myself, I just don't think it is wise or safe for a female to run at dark alone. I had several valid reasons why I couldn't do my run tonight, especially the fact that it was already dark, also very icy and very cold. However this voice inside inside me was saying that an Ironman Triathlete would not validate any of my reasons, but rather they would look at my seemingly valid reasons as lame excuses. That changed my whole outlook and attitude regarding the task before me. As I watched my inside attitude, and motivation transform (because I long to be and Ironman) I actually got excited about donning my new headlamp, cold weather gear and hitting the icy streets of my neighborhood in the dark!



As I headed out the door, it was 19 degrees, clear and all the streets of my neighborhood were covered with a solid sheet of ice. I started my music inside the house to get myself pumped up, I put on my snow tracks (basically studded snow tires that fit over my running shoes) my snow hat and my new cool headlamp, gloves and my sub zero running jacket.



By the time I got out the door down my driveway I was excited about my run adventure. I ran for 51 minutes and had a blast. I was never cold, I was never afraid, and was all caught up in rocking out to some really good music. I really enjoyed the silent dialogue that my head lamp made with all the head lights of passing cars. Last year I totally learned to love to run in the snow, a fantastic treat if you have the gear appropriate for the temps and conditions.




My Frontal Right brain loves to try the new and different, so maybe this year my new favorite thing will be running in the dark with my new headlamp, even alone in the dark. This is a paradigm shift for me.



Tonight I am grateful and proud of myself for making a choice that allowed me to experience success in conquering a long time personal fear of darkness for myself. I have had the unfortunate experience in my life of being stalked before and have for years had significant fears and issues regarding being alone in the darkness. The feeling of accomplishment tonight is very empowering for me!

Victory is Sweet!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi- I continue to be amazed at the risks you are taking and the fears you are facing!! YOU ROCK!! YOU INSPIRE ME!! Thanks for being such a great role model! Loves and hugs! Linda

Kim Herring said...

My dear sisty ugler!
I am SOOO proud of you. Knowing your past experiences, I totally get what a big deal this was for you and you showed your true "Ironman" spirit by conquering your fears. You now know that there is nothing that can stop you from achieving your goals and even going beyond your own expectations.
I love you and am VERY proud of you.

tak2lmt said...

Kathi, You rock. I am having so much fun watching you achieve your goal. I am truely excited for you.
From one Ironman to another soon.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
You are one of the coolest people I have ever met. You are going to kick ass at Ironman. Keep up the great work.
Dave

jessithompson said...

I am so proud of you GG for going for the challenge as well as facing your fears... it's just like the Argonne hill... tough to get going and so good when it's done. WHEN you cross the finish line at Ironman it is going to mean so much because you have worked your ass off to get there. Now that will be your sweet victory!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow sis! You've conquered your fear of the water. You've conquered your fear of the dark and you are soon to conquer Ironman Coeur 'd Alene! There is NOTHING you can't do. You are amazing and I love you! Patti Gay