Friday, July 27, 2007

Hours 1 & 2

13 hours of my 1st Ironman Race


Hour 1: Was spent swimming, the first 20 minutes of which I was scared almost to death, panicked and at times felt like I was fighting for my life, as I got hit, kicked, punched, swam over, pushed under and hit in the face so hard my goggles got knocked off 3 different times.

In trying to describe to Kevin post race what it was like the only words that I could find to communicate the emotion for me were, “That was the most violent experience of my life!” The combativeness of the swim was definitely the most challenging part of the race for me. There were people around me screaming for help, the screams were very unnerving! No swim clinic, race or training swim I had ever done prepared me for this.

About the 30 minute point in the swim, I had gotten some control of the panic and had become very determined, still very overwhelmed and anxious, but very determined. I stopped letting my emotion control me and got into my head and got very focused on just making it to the next buoy, then just making it to the next buoy, then just making it to the next buoy. That is me in the red goggles!

As I came out of the water after completing the first 1.2 mile loop I was able to spot Kevin in the crowd and the pride I saw in his face and belief in his eyes gave me the courage I needed to dive back into the water for a second loop!

I was on the second loop of the 2.4 mile swim, still enduring the largest swimming challenge of my life! The water conditions were extremely rough with 2-3 foot swells and white caps crashing into my face. The swells were so big that I literally had to breast stroke to the crest of a swell every few strokes to even be able to site a course buoy. The rough water conditions that day added much challenge and frustration to the swim, but it was definitely not the scariest part for me.

When I got out of that swim I was ecstatic; I felt like a Survivor. If the race had stopped right then, I would have felt like an Ironman!! I ran with elation up the hill past the cheering crowd and my Kathi Best Cheer Squad - on to the wetsuit strippers (that was a treat)! I had a very long T-1 (7+ minutes, due to feminine hygiene demands, guess someone thought I needed to add a little additional challenge to my Ironman race) and then took off with gusto ready to tackle the bike course!

Hour 2: I was cold for the first hour on the bike, I was wishing that I had put arm warmers in my T1 bag. I was just finishing the 1st small loop on the bike and was feeling great. It took me 30 minutes on the bike to get my Heart Rate calmed down to the zone I was suppose to be in for the duration of my ride. I was so full of adrenaline and still a bit riled up from the swim. Going through the hub of down town where all 3 bike course loops intersected and where the majority of my cheer squad was, was absolutely exhilarating!!! The thrill of seeing the clusters of red “Kathi’s Best Cheer Squad” was very inspiring and motivating.


My 1st time by was extra special because my eyes connected with another set of eyes in the crowd that were welled up with tears. It was my son Adam, who was suppose to be in a weekend class but couldn’t stand missing my big day so he cut out and showed up to surprise me. Wow what a boost of energy and gift to my heart and soul that was!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathi,

Wow what a day. Seeing you finish was very inspiring, you made the race look so easy. I am glad we we able to be part of your big day. I admire your perseverance and dedication, it is admirable and something I wish I could find in myself. uytdhn


By the way the pictures are AWESOME