Friday, July 27, 2007

Hours 9, 10 & 11

Hour 9: The 3rd mile took me past my cheer squad again which was such a treat and I felt very honored and grateful that they were still there cheering me on. I took in all their faces and slapped as many hands as I could. The 4 mile marker had me heading out to the big loop for the first time. I knew it was going to be a lonely stretch and at this point I could not deny that I was beginning to struggle physically and mentally. I was overwhelmed with the miles that lay before me, my body was tired and aching and I kept thinking there was no way I could run 22 more miles. I struggled with these thoughts for the next few miles. At about mile 6 I somehow found the strength to my mind focused on something positive.

This is when I decided to stop thinking about how many miles I had left to run and focus instead on just running to the next aide station You don’t have to run 22 more miles Kathi, just run to the next aid station, you don’t have to run 21 more miles Kathi just run to the next aid station etc……
Hour 10: I am coming back in from my first time out the big loop of the run and was passed by a Tri Fusion teammate Katie Hemenway. She asked me to run with her and I tried but she was booking at a faster cadence than I could get my body to go! Even though she slowly ran out of sight her presence and encouragement as she went by was a lift to my spirits.
Then I had a special treat of seeing my “Kathi Best” Tri Fusion Sign on the run course, it was a gift to my mind and body and I felt a surge of encouragement!

Hour 11: On my 2nd trip out the small loop I got the much needed gift of running by the major concentration of my Cheer Squad again. This time their cheering was major food for my soul as I dug deep to find reasons to keep running. Seeing their smiling faces made me smile, made me feel so loved and supported and gave me the boost of energy I needed to continue running!
A Special surprise and Tank filler happened for me at the Special needs station for the run when my dear Sisty Ughler Kim came along side me and ran with me! I was hurting but not enough to not notice that she was running along side me in her "flip flops"! Is that true friendship or what!!

No comments: