Friday, July 27, 2007

Hours 6, 7 & 8

Hour 6: I could not help but acknowledge the signs of fatigue at this point. Mentally I was dreading the hilly loop for the second time, as I rode out to the hills I was thinking, this is going to hurt.

I was worried that maybe I had ridden the 1st loop too hard. I had been consistently implementing my nutrition plan, and had conservatively stayed below my Lactate Threshold, never the less the symptoms of fatigue were beginning to rear their ugly head. I had to get into my head and do some major self talk.





Reminding myself, how much I wanted this, that I knew going into this it would not be easy. That I needed to be willing to dig deep, that I knew my coach had prepared me to be able to finish this race and that I needed to have faith in my preparation, my ability and my self. This is when I began saying my Mantra “Guts to Glory” over and over!



Looking at all the miles ahead still seemed overwhelming, it seemed like the hills would never end. I finally got my mind wrapped around concentrating on just taking 1 hill at a time and reminding myself in the middle of the grueling pain of the hill that this was the last time I would have to climb that hill today! Breaking it down and conquering one hill at a time seemed to work for well for me!

Another gift to my race was once again being cheered for by Tiffany, Leni and Kim, they were still jumping up and down, yelling out my name and a big highlight for me was after I had gone by this vivacious group of amazing ladies, Tiffany yells out, “Hey Kathi do you need some Vagina-ease!” I was surrounded my male cyclists and the next 5 miles made for some very fun, interesting and fatigue distracting conversations as several of these guys jockeyed for position to ask me “So what’s Vigina-ease?” Hilarious!!!!!! (I so regret that I don't have a picture for this one)

Hour 7: As I was coming out of the hills for the 2nd time another exciting surprise presented itself to me. As I was starting the trek back to town, this van pulls up beside me and it was Kris, Tim Seppa and Kevin.



They drove beside me for a few miles, talking to me, taking pictures and filming, it made me laugh, filled my empty tank and gave me my wings back. I headed back into town with renewed energy!


Hour 8: After surviving the 2nd loop of the bike I was re-inspired and this sounds strange but I was looking forward to starting the run.

T2 was a bit shorter for me (5+minutes), but still far too long. Again I had a feminine hygiene and Porta Potty stop and a cloths change that cost me valuable time.

I headed out to the short loop of the run (approx. 3 miles) and the first mile was amazing as the run path lead me by my amazing cheer squad and their excitement to see me, energetic support and cheering were such a gift and boost to my spirit, desire and mental game.

No comments: