Sunday, April 08, 2007

Competer ~ vs ~ Completer




One of the things I love about the world of Triathlon is that there is a place for everyone who has a desire to participate! And Kevin's journey validates that truth!


When I first got into the sport 2 years ago, my husband (here after known as Kevin) was a spectator. He was amazing support to me every step of my journey. From his loving encouragment, to his comfort as I faced fears, to his driving a support vehicle for me on my long runs, he has been my biggest fan and my greatest support.


Little did I know that as he looked on and supported me, a vision and desire was growing within him. I can remember mid-season 2 years ago how when caught up in the excitement of a post race high, he was excited to share with me, that he thought he would like to try a Triathlon. I remember after he completed his first sprint distance race how he said "that was the hardest thing he had ever done"!


Kevin went on to do 3 Triathlons that season. Then winter came, he had a significant career change and he stopped his training all together. And for my 2nd season, last year Kevin did not do any races. He did a few training sessions with me and he loved being in the Race environment but just wasn't sure that being a Multi Sport Participant was for him.


But by the end of my 2nd season and after supporting me at 11 races , Kevin caught his vision for where his place would be in the sport. This revelation was a relief to him and a gift to me. Kevin's revelation for himself was that he was a "Completer" rather than a "Competer"! For his Basal Right harmonizing brain it was the perfect place for him. He realized that he really enjoyed the training but wasn't so keen on the competiton of it all. Bonus for me, I get a training partner and amazing support for my races.


This year Kevin plans on doing 3 sprint distance Triathlons and is considering trying his first Olympic Distance Tri. I love this sport so much and it means alot to me to be able to share it with the "man of my life"! I love being able to see him out on the race course and being able to cheer for each other along the way!


In January Kevin gave me a huge complement when he asked me if I would make him a weekly training schedule. So I have been providing him with a schedule since the beginning of February. He has really gained fitness in the past couple of months and I know he is happy about that. He really enjoys the swimming and cycling, but not so much the running.


So it surprised and thrilled me when he told me that he was going to participate in our Tri Fusion Club sponsored Duathlon "Race for the Stache". A Duathlon involves 2 runs (Kevin's least favorite part of a race), one at the beginning of the race and a second one after the bike. This race was 2 mile run, 12 mile bike and another 2 mile run.


The challenge of the shorter distance races is that they are just that "short" so the intensity of each leg is quite high! Basically all out effort the entire race. The finish line is sweet victory for every participant, but much more so for a "completer" who is not into the pain for the sake of competition!


Nice "Completion" Kevin!


So Congratulations to my Sweetie for "Completing" his first race of the season. It was great fun for me to cheer you on along the way and at the finish! Gee honey - why weren't you there to cheer for me at the finish line :o)...................

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frickin' awesome! It's so great to see him out there at training sessions as well as the races. He has one of the biggest spirits and positive attitudes. I'm glad that he has the 'tri bug' again. Thanks for sharing.

Roger

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

I LOVE that Kevin has found his own unique way to participate in this sport!! I so appreciate how warm and inviting he has been to Bert and to me at family gatherings!His positive attitude, and his humble support of others, makes him a great role model!! Kevin, YOU ROCK!!!!
Love and Hugs! Linda

jessithompson said...

Way to go, Bebe! So fun to share this with you... thanks too for the yummy homemade bread! DELICIOUS!

The Farrell Family said...

Sounds like you two are quite a great team. I love hearing your stories, thanks for sharing!

Kim Herring said...

From one completor to another - WAY TO GO KEVIN!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy for him that he has found his place in the Triathlon world. I too really enjoy the training and for my introverted brain - I prefer to train alone on most days. I'm involved in triathlon because I want to be healthy and get my body into shape - I am not a competitor and I don't see that changing in the near future. That's why I don't participate in a lot of "races" but continue to train hard and get the training "high" on a daily basis.

I love you for your understanding of my brain and I am truly grateful that you've included me in the making of a training schedule. I think having a schedule is vital to my success in my fitness journey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of teamwork, love and mutual celebration, Kathi! I have loved watching you both compete, and have really dug being a rooter/documenter with Kevin on so many events. I'm looking forward to getting some clips and photos of you guys preparing for Ironman, once the back heals a bit. Know that I'm thinking of you out there training, these beautiful Spring days!

Love, and Happy Birthday!
Tim