Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My first Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens

Due to the size of the post, it is actually broken into 5 different sections. Keep scrolling down to follow the story of my first half ironman!

We arose at 3:50am (3 ½ hours sleep), walking around in a dark house all doing our separate pre-race food and hydration rituals.


4:45am we all piled in the car, including Emma and drove away. During the 50 minute drive my mind was overwhelmed with details of getting through the race (getting hydrated, how many ounces of fluids I should drink, what type of fluids and when, how many gels and when, how many supplements and when, how much food and what and when, my head was buzzing with data) and those who know me well know how my Frontal Right Brain handles too much data, Yikes! On top of the fact that my brain was about to explode with information, my stomach was twisted upside down and inside out with nerves! I felt myself going into mode, and getting very serious, trying to focus and not freak!


We arrived at the race site around 5:35am, as we got busy with all the pre-race details of, timing chips, body markings, checking in bikes, & trips to the porta potty, lots of trips! As I began setting up my transition area, my anxiety began to settle down a bit. Once I got into my wetsuit I started to get excited about the race. The fact that Jessi and I were in the same swim wave was very comforting to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!

LORIE said...

I just need to say that your body is incredible. I admire your dedication and passion for these races!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathi! I just wanted to send you a big HUG after the 1/2 Ironman you did on Sunday! It was so GREAT to see you at each stage of the race!! You are doing it!!
My favorite moment was being out in the wheat field, where you wouldn't have expected me, and seeing the shocked smile on your face!! You did an amazing job and I loved yelling for you!! Your Booster! Linda (Jessi's Momma)