Friday, August 18, 2006

Motivation

Motivation

Only 6 weeks into my journey towards my 1st Ironman and I am finding that some days are harder than others to get my self motivated and out the door to get my training sessions in. Once I begin the training session, whether it is the swim, bike or the run, I can usually get into it and enjoy the process. There are just times for me that it is hard to get out the door and get started. There is this tug of war inside my head that pulls back and forth between all the reasons (excuses) why “I am not” going to do it and all the reasons (decisions) of why “I am” going to do it!















On days when I struggle I seem to have developed this staging process of gearing up!

-I lay out my workout clothes, avoid them for a time, but eventually put them on
-drink some fluids, ponder nutrition, turn on the TV, go to the bathroom
-then get my HR monitor, watch & MP3 player out, lay them on the table
-drink fluids, ponder nutrition, check e-mail, check the time
-vacillate between which shoes to put my orthotics in
-drink fluids, load the dishwasher, eat some yogurt, go to the bathroom
-decide to put on HR & watch, start a load of laundry, look at the clock
-ponder which sun glasses to wear, look at the newspaper
-drink more fluids, clean my sunglasses, check the time again
-talk to family members about their activities or needs for the day, looking for some
excuse outside myself that would have priority over my training
-put on my shoes, pace around the house, do I have the right clothes for the weather
-put on my MP3 player, go to the bathroom
-30 to 45 minutes have gone by, pressure is building within me, I have got to get started
-on my hardest days, I actually turn my music on inside the house and that usually gives
me the motivation to open the door and get my butt outside
-once my music is on, there is no getting out of it! I am off and training no matter what!

For me, the lack of motivation seems to come into play for getting myself out the door and getting started, once I have made the decision to get out the door and start, then I am motivated to challenge myself in the training session.

Triathlon is becoming a very important part of my life. I think it is a very inspiring sport to be involved in. The races are exciting, the cheering of the spectators is inspiring, and the health benefits for your physical body are numerous. However I don’t think most people realize that to complete any longer distance triathlon or to achieve any level of success in the sport or at a race, there are MANY lonely hours of training where an athlete is driven by self motivation alone!

I desire for self motivation to become a powerful force inside me, I know that it will allow me to succeed in the sport of Triathlon and will carry over to all aspects of my life as well.

There are 2 things that I have learned for sure in Triathlon:

1. I have never completed a training session and then regretted that I started it!
2. Crossing the finish line of any race is GLORIOUS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who delays the start of a workout looking for something more fun to do. But, like you, I never regret completing a training session.
Thank you for the inspiration - you are AMAZING!!!!
Your TriSista!

jessithompson said...

In the midst of the energy and hype of a race, it's easy for people watching to assume that it's like that all the time... that there are always people there cheering you on at every workout and that there is always a gun going off to make you start each day.

Aside from the obvious actual distance of the race, I do think the longer distances are harder because it takes even more motivation to gear up for a long time out on the road or in the water. It can be very lonely at times.

But I think that's what makes the reward so sweet (and even addicting). When you finish the hard workout and/or the race, there is a piece of your spirit that is filled knowing you did something amazing for yourself, your body, and that you worked hard for it. It's not easy - not everyone can do it. That's empowering.

You inspire me and motivate me. I love ya.

Roger Thompson said...

What? You don't look forward to your workout all day long? It's all I can think about. Well, not really. I schedule yard work ahead of it all most of the time. Some call it lack of motivation... I call it procrastination. 24 Hour Fitness has the market on this as well as indoor trainers.

I have to say that I am in the same mind set as you. It's hard to get everything together. But once you are out the door and take that first step, pedal stroke, or swim stroke, it all seems to flow. And when you get done, you can't imagine not wanting to do it earlier. You actually look forward to tomorrow's workout... until tomorrow's workout is in front of you.

I have this same feeling when it comes to getting ready for races. When I start packing, I start to find other things to do. The preparation for training and racing is pretty demanding. Even with experience, lists, bins, and items with labels on them, it's often chalenging to get it all ready to go out the door. I think you are smart in getting it all together before. When I have done that, it gives me less time to find other things to do.

You are doing awesome...and it will show at the Grand Columbian.