Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Unlucky Number 13

Well as I see it, it’s all Sam’s fault! When Sam gave up the superstition of #13 being an unlucky number, he must have sent it my way.

I don’t fully understand why, but if I am truthful I have had “one of the most”, actually I have to say “the most” frustrating week of training in my entire Triathlon career (o.k. it’s only 2 seasons) but never the less, it seems like not one training session has gone smoothly! In my swim workouts I have felt like my butt is dragging on the bottom of the pool. On my bike rides my legs have felt powerless, my body has ached every place, I had another one of my famous crashes (notice the picture of my trophy from that), and of course you know that I got my first flat. On my runs my legs have felt like they weigh 50 lbs each, they have hurt and only seem to move in slow motion. I have not been able to get my HR up even close to my assigned training zones??

So watch out Gang, this could be a nasty virus, I would strongly recommend that you all super charge your Immune Systems, as in double your EnerPrime. Especially those of you who plan to join me for the Starbucks swim in Medical Lake Sunday. Actually might be exactly what I need, maybe a swim in Medical Lake will cure what ails me!!!!! I can only hope for a cure!

I never thought this journey would be easy and I know that this will not be the only hard week I have, it has however been HARD! And to hide the painful truth would be to discredit the integrity of the journey itself.

Next week’s training can only be better. I will press on and I will train through the uncomfortable pain and discouragement. I will persevere for I am on a Journey down a very long road that will lead me to the possibility of becoming an Ironman Finisher! There are no quitters on this road, because quitting would be giving up on my dream, because quitting would be weak and because quitting is not in my blood!

Onward I go with the goal of ridding my body and mind of this unlucky #13 virus!

7 comments:

tak2lmt said...

Kathi, Kathi, Kathi
I have had this problem many of times. Sometimes you feel like shit and you cant make it threw. Keep going and it will work out. Its the hard times that make you stronger and its the hard times that you will remember when you ARE a IRONMAN.
Its all you girl, go and get it.
Never forget Ironma will change your life.

jessithompson said...

Remember that it's the crappy workouts that make the good ones so good. You can't have the peaks without the valleys. Makes sense, but doesn't make your body feel any better when you're in the middle of it. Been there...many times (refer back to my GRRRR blog post)... and I love you for your tenacity and vision to get to the other side. It's these moments that will make crossing the finish line at Ironman so unbelievably amazing. The reward is so huge because the sacrifice, pain, and energy are immense. You're an animal, GG, there aren't many who can do what you're doing. I love you and am so proud of you!

And hey, if 13 works out for you like it did for Sam, I think you're going to be on the upper end of the stick!

Anonymous said...

Press on! Take no prisoners!

Maybe you were jinxed by taking your camera along on a ride, setting it up a few feet away from you while you staged a flat tire scenario for your blog ... you never know!

... just kidding. I agree with all of the comments above. You rock!

Tim

Anonymous said...

You're amazing for taking on this adventure!

Anonymous said...

Ok girlfriend! You are amazing and I have a small idea of how tough the bad days can be. My training level is nowhere near yours but as it was said above it will make the good days seem even better.

As you know I've taken on running this past couple of weeks and it makes swimming seem like childs play. I am NOT a runner but I will do it because it's good for my body. Thank you for being such an encourager this week for me even when your training has been rough.

Love you!
KE

Roger Thompson said...

Gosh, I can't say that I have ever had a week like that... They are all good weeks. When I start to feel like I am having a bad week, I think about how fortunate I am that 1. I have a body that can do this--fast or not, 2. I have an amazing family that supports what I do, 3. A community of people who are some of the most up beat and such a hoot to be with, 4. I know that modeling this behavior makes a positive impact on my family, friends, and students 5. It's an activity that you can share. So though there are many days that things seem to go wrong, put a smile on your face because you can. I'm not really a fisherman, but let me steal one of their sayings "I will take a crappy day of training over a great day at work." I have had some pretty great days at work too, but you learn a lot about yourself on those crappy days. It just takes a little looking.

One more thing... if you recall, I got a flat right before we went to Canada, and the 2 weeks leading up to it my training felt the same as you described... slow, lifeless, pointless. But then it was followed by one of the best races I have ever had. This to shall pass.

The wind will eventually be at your back again. But sometimes you need it in your face to test to see how much you want something.

Anonymous said...

Kathi- I LOVE your statement "quitting is not in my blood!" When I have a super tough week, I think back to my Mom and Nana and realize I come from a long line of tough, go-getter women. That is in my genes..that follows me everywhere! That is my heritage and it's in my bone marrow! Thanks for the authentic
post! Love Linda