Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Over the HUMP!!!!!

I am a survivor!!!!!!!

Well I survived and lived to tell about my last 20++ hour training week before my 1st Ironman race!

As I ponder the intense load and whirlwind of the past month, I can’t help be reminded of the children’s Nursery Rhyme “Humpty Dumpty”

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!

I feel like I have been on the top of this high wall all year!

On one side of the wall I can look down and see my crazy busy/life (before my Ironman goal) that was full of all kinds of activities and responsibilities that kept me running however most of it was nice cushy, comfortable, safe & secure activities.

And on the other side I see my crazy/busy life (after I signed up for Ironman) with all the origional activities and responsibilities but had acquired several levels of added difficulty and was packed full of challenges, facing fears, digging deep, searching for new forms of motivation all kinds of opportunities to stretch and grow in many areas that have taken me way outside my comfort zone!

There have been many times that my taskings for the day seeded too many to be accomplished and I found myself wishing that I could somehow fit 36 hours of stuff in my 24 hour day! No matter how organized and energetic I was I never managed to figure out how to do that and at times........I felt like I was about to fall off that wall!

But at every critical moment of percieving that I was about to loose my balance as I was wavering and wobbling side to side, I was able to either regain my balance by finding a new form of inner strength that allowed me to develop new muscles of motivation, courage and determination or I have been caught just in time, before I fell by a family member or friend who’s Timely Support, Encouragment, Words of Affirmation or Act of Service would put their arms around me, hold me tight and help me regain my balance so that I did not fall.

I have had many situations where I felt very vunerable, scared and fragile, and I felt as though I was metaphorically close to falling off the wall and breaking into many little pieces……….

But I didn’t

Thank you to all of you who have been there for me in many times of need to be my support, my encouragement, my safety net and my loving reassurance that I was capable and worthy of continuing this journey!

You know who you are,

P.S. I LOVE YOU ALL

5 comments:

Kim Herring said...

Dear Sisty Ugler,
I know that this journey has been at times difficult but just remember that you have this amazing event coming up and the reward that awaits you will be unbelievable. Like I've said before people who are not triathletes think that the sport is crazy - I for one disagree - I think it's an amazing part of my life and yours as well - the percentage of the population that participate in triathlons is so very small (crap half the population probably doesn't even know what a triathlon is let alone and Ironman) and even smaller for those who choose to complete and Ironman event. You are about to become a part of a very elite group of people who choose to do an Ironman.....Just think about it this way.......of the billions of people in the world....on June 24th you will be one of about 2500 people competing in an Ironman. That is definitely a VERY small percentage.

I admire you for your dedication and determination to reach this goal. I know that you will be successful and you will have legions of supporters in Coeur d'Alene supporting you as well as friends and family who are not able to travel here to support - they will be sending positive support your way on that day.

I love you too!

jessithompson said...

I love you, GG.

It's like the card we got for each other... it's just a miracle that we manage to not be falling off the wall at the same time and have been able to support each other through this journey.

You are amazing...

Kathleen said...

Kathi - your undeniable commitment to achieving your goal to race in CDA Ironman is inspiring! There is no doubt in my mind you will finish and love every minute of it!! You are truely an amazing woman - able to juggle being a wife, mother and athlete.

You go girl!!

Tiffany said...

Kathi,

I love the Humpty Dumpty metaphor! Just hang on to that wall for 17 more days baby! And remember, if you do fall, unlike Humpty, you have so many wonderful friends and a very supportive family who are ready and willing to put you back together again and hoist you right back up to the top! Keep up the good work. Project yourself to the finish line. It's going to be so sweet!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi-

What I know for sure is this...

You are ABSOLUTELY capable
and
ABSOLUTELY WORTHY....

of achieving this goal!

God Bless! Love you! Linda