Thursday, May 24, 2007

Start the Countdown


Today the official Countdown to Ironman Coeur d’ Alene, “the biggest race of my life so far” begins today!

The 2007 Coeur d’ Alene Ford Ironman Race is June 24 which is exactly:
~1 month from today
~32 days from today
~768 hours from today
~46,080 minutes from today
~2,764,800 seconds from today

Yikes! That gives me a BIG lump in my throat!

As I literally stare the “Biggest Race of my Life so Far” in the face there are so many mixed emotions that flood my heart and soul.

This is a heartfelt sought after goal of mine, it is a 3 year journey in the making, and one that in all honesty is tremendously daunting. I am excited about several things and fearful of others. Let’s see if together they equal 13?

1) Excited – about surviving the intense training and getting to the starting line with out being injured (I had a hamstring scare this week, did some intense therapy and all is good)

2) Fearful – of getting injured in the last days from the intense training load and not making it to the starting line

3) Excited – about the possibility of crossing the finish line and achieving my goal of becoming an Ironman Finisher

4) Fearful – of all the miles (160.4) and the possible obstacles that could stand in the way of me crossing the finish line

5) Excited – about having so many people I love cheering for me along the race course

6) Fearful – of disappointing them if for some reason it is just not my day

7) Excited – about the opportunity to push myself beyond measure with the challenge that lies before me

8) Fearful – of the possibility that the challenge is to big for me to conquer

9) Excited – about participating in a Race that I hold in high regard and have so much respect for, I am in total “AWE” of anyone who finishes

10)Fearful – of not experiencing the sense of accomplishment and intense transformation that comes from achieving such a monumental goal

11)Excited – about going to bed and getting a good night sleep and too tired to come up with 12 and 13! How is that for being honest.

P.S. Tomorrow is a 6 hour bike ride followed by a 1 hour brick run, yippee……doing the hilly loop of the Ironman Course with Jessi……….…bring it on baby……………….

Good Night……………..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5 comments:

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi-
During this intense three year journey you have shown amazing courage, dedication, and determination.

You mentioned in this Thursday Thirteen list that you fear disppointing people if it isn't your day. You could never disappoint me!

I am SO proud of you
for giving this journey 100% effort!

There may be unforseen challenges, but what I know for sure is that you will do your absolute best!! You always do!

You'll be in my prayers for rest, renewal, and NO injuries during this last countdown!
God Bless! Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Kathi - you are such an inspiration! I will be thinking about you this weekend and your epic workout. I am already in "AWE" of you for your courageousness to dream big and go for it . . . you rock!!!

Kim Herring said...

My dear sisty ugler! How could you possibly disappoint your family & friends? We are all SO proud of you for the journey that you are on and I pray that you stay injury free. You are an inspiration to me as well as many others in your life and I love you for who you are and the honesty that you let us all witness.

I can't wait to hear the announcer say his famous line with your name in it. But I won't steal his thunder by saying it here. :-)

Kathi Best - you are amazing!
and I love you!

Anonymous said...

There is no such thing as disappointment amongst those who love you. What you are doing is monumental and just plain HUGE!!! You are already a winner no matter what! I'm so proud of you Kathi! Love Patti

Tiffany said...

Wow. I can't even imagine all of the emotions you must go through on a daily basis! I LOVED the countdown. I cannot tell you how excited I am to be there cheering you on. You are going to do incredibly well, and even if it's "not your day" there will be no disappointment from me. In my eyes, deciding to take on this challenge and actually making it to the starting line are huge accomplishments in themselves. I am inspired by all of your hard work and discipline through your training. You are so hard core and have a rockin' hard bod to show it! Good luck with your last month of training. I can't wait to celebrate with you when you hear those glorious words, "Kathi Best, you are an Ironman!