Thursday, May 10, 2007

Do ~ Experience ~ Learn ~ Grow

The Napa Valley Vintage 1/2 Ironman, Saturday May 5 was definately the hardest race I have ever completed so far. The distance of a 1/2 Ironman is: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike followed by a 13.2 mile run. My swim leg was 47 minutes, my bike leg was 3 hours and 30 minutes and my run leg was 1 hour and 59 minutes. Leaving me with a total overall finish time of 6 hours and 20 minutes. At the finish line I felt like a survivor!
13 Mistakes & Challenges

1) I had never swam in my new wetsuit before the race, it seemed a bit short and was causing uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders during the swim
2) I did not do my 5 minute warm up before the swim start

3) It took me the entire 1st loop of the swim to get into a breathing rhythm

4) I did not do an open water swim before this race so I hadn’t practiced sighting and ended up getting off course and got redirected by a course monitor in a kayak

5) I put my watch and timing chip on the outside of my wetsuit

6) Struggling to get my wetsuit off with my watch and timing chip folded inside cost me several extra minutes in T1, not to mention the added frustration

7) I did not ride my bike before I racked it to check that everything worked properly

8) I had trouble shifting some of my gears and heard metal rubbing the entire bike

9) Swimming in water that was so rough it actually had white caps

10) Enduring 30-37 MHP winds with up to 50 MPH wind gusts on the bike course

11) A course that was so full of hills the only flat terrain was the 3 bridges we had to cross

12) A bike course with roads so full of potholes, sink holes, cracks, bumps, also speed bumps (no kidding) and bad road patches that were so jarring that I felt like I ended up with whiplash and a few missing teeth!

13) No music devices allowed in the race so I had to listen to myself gasping for air the entire 6 hours and 20 minutes!

13 Successes & Rewards

1) The temperature was in the 70’s which was great for me, I wasn’t too cold at the start of the swim and I wasn’t too hot at the end of the run

2) I survived the swim & had lots of opportunity to learn more about open water

3) I could actually feel the increase performance ability of my new bike

4) I passed a lot of people going up hills

5) I reached a new Max speed on my bike of 38.6 MPH

6) I followed my nutrition & hydration plan on the bike

7) I survived the bike & had 3:30 hours of opportunity to work on some of my fear issues on the bike, like going downhill fast, sharp corners, bad roads

8) I actually utilized Lactate Threshold data to stay with in targeted Heart Rate Zone’s, yea me for using science & technology!

9) I pushed myself with tired legs to achieve a new PR on the run

10) I survived the run & learned that my brain power when focused on the right things could tell my tired legs what to do

11) I had great fellowship with great people which led to great laughs and great memories

12) I achieved a new PR on the run for my fastest ½ Marathon time ever

13) I placed 25th over all amongst 92 females & placed 3rd in my Age group

Thirteen Thank You’s

1) To Roger for teaching me how to take my bike apart and pack it into the airline travel case

2) To Jessi for giving me wisdom regarding a nutrition plan for the race & for being my security blanket pre and post race

3) To Kevin for believing in me and encouraging me to go do this race and for supporting me in such amazing ways from afar

4) To Roger for making all the travel arrangements, which were a headache because they changed a million times

5) To Sam for scoring us all a good hotel deal

6) To Jessi for sharing a bed with me so I didn’t have to explain to Kevin why I slept with Sam
7) To Tia for being support crew for the team single handedly, for taking so many amazing pictures and for cheering her heart out all day

8) To Rachael and Margo for all their good thoughts and laborous hours spent trying to follow the race and keep updated on how I was doing

9) To Sam for helping me put my bike together and taking it back apart on his own while I was still finishing the run

10) To Kim for calling to wish me a good race

11) To my nice guy buddy Dave for Text messaging me good luck, even though I don't know how to do Text messaging?

12) To my Tri Fusion Teammates for all the cheers and encouragment along the race course

13) To my husband Kevin for his “perfect timing” in calling me within 1 minute of my finish to see how I did!

Overall I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to get an endurance distance triathlon under my belt before my Ironman race on June 24th. This experience provided me with ample opportunity to work on many of the fears and issues I have regarding the 3 disiplines of Triathlon and therefore increasing my confidence in many areas that will be critical to my success in this sport!

5 comments:

jessithompson said...

It was an honor to share this adventure and experience with you, GG. I can't tell you how much better the trip was for me because you were there. Congratulations on your excellent result and PR on the run. I hope you feel rewarded for all of your hard work this year. You are an amazing athlete and you continue to inspire me!

Kim Herring said...

As I told you on the phone I am so proud of you for doing such a good job in this race. I know you were scared of the bike and you conquered the fear. I am SOOOO glad that your nutrition plan worked for you and it has made me rethink a couple of things that I was doing.

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. You inspire me and make me want to to better!

Love you sisty ugler!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Kathi! You are continuing to prove what a terrific athlete you are, with these accomplishments. Thanks for sharing the details of your heart and mental processes as you proceed on this journey.

44 days and counting! It's going to be such a great day!

Love you!
Tim

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Dearest Kathi!

This may be one of my favorite Thursday Thirteen posts of all times!

You really shared your "story" of the Napa Vally Half Ironman!

My heart wants to shout out "LOOK HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME!!!!"

Oh my gosh...you've gone from fear of water to open ocean swims with HUGE waves!

You've biked on hills the size of those in the movie The Sound of Music!

You ran and you ran and you ran some more!!

You showed guts, determination, great courage, and perseverence!

And you came in THIRD IN YOUR AGE GROUP!!! Can we say that again louder..."THIRD IN YOUR AGE GROUP!!"

YOU ROCK!!

I am SO, SO proud of you!!
Love, Linda

Tiffany said...

Kathi, you are amazing! Congrats on your PR! What a HUGE accomplishment! I am counting the days until I can cheer you on at Ironman and watch your hours and hours of hard work pay off! :)