Thursday, February 22, 2007

Defining Moments

Most of you locally who know me are aware of the Media Firestorm that attacked my family this past week. Although there was "a story" told it was not "The Story" (ie the truth)! Our little corner of the world was rocked and our hearts lay heavy.
I do not have the words to truely express to you how grateful we are and how much we appreciate all of your support, in the way of phone calls, cards, e-mails and personal visits that were filled with words of affirmation and validation of the honor and integrity of our family.
Although this past week has been very difficult it has been very defining to us regarding the value of Family and True Friends. I know that difficult times chisel out our character, define for us who we are, what we stand for and make us stronger. Never the less when the things closest to your heart are attacked it is very painful. For me that would be my family, and the foundational and core values that we have spent many years to build and define. It is this foundation that will come to your aid or fail you in times of trial, we feel very blessed that in the midst of the firestorm we drew strength and direction from one another.


Today as a family we have surrendered to the fact that Life isn't always fair and we are choosing to hold our heads high in confidence about who we are and the principles that define us. We are unified in not allowing people who do not know us and who do not share our same values to have any power over our lives!
Those of you who know us and love us know "The Story" without us even having to tell you and we love and appreciate you for that. The way you have rallied around us has blessed our lives and hugged our hearts and for that we are grateful.
Onward we go, with optimism and anticipation of the greater things that lie ahead! Taking comfort in realizing that we live in a Country that has become addicted to "Breaking News" and that this hurtful Media Storm will pass and one week, one month or one year from now, this story will not matter!
If I thought that the paper would print my editorial this is what I would write:
"I assume that you’ve heard of the recent occurrence at the Spokane County Assessor’s office. The case of a young man who applied for a position in the same office his father worked in. Nepotism and favoritism were common arguments against this hire. The outburst from the media and a very small percentage of the public cost this young man, Adam Best, his job. The question I pose to you is what kind of message does this send to our youth? We raise our children to shoot for the moon. We frequently state that anything is possible if you dream it. And, when one shining star does rise to the occasion and buys into our teachings we cut him down. We cut him down for the simple fact that he is a mere 23 years of age and that his father happens to work in the same office. It’s a wonder why Spokane loses such a large number of young, motivated, visionary and highly educated individuals to surrounding areas such as Seattle. They would rather brave the rain than a large number of skeptical and mediocre minds. Mediocrity surely does attack excellence. I applaud Mr. Baker’s decision to hire such a young and enthusiastic man fully knowing beforehand the consequences such a hire would bring. Perhaps this event will spurn Spokane to finally have a vision for our children. Then again, perhaps not. Regardless of the outcome, I extend a hearty thank you to Mr. Baker for his vision and professionalism."


Kathi Best
Spokane WA

4 comments:

Kim Herring said...

Amen Sisty!
You know that I stand beside your family 100% and I also know that Adam will persevere through this process and use it as a learning tool. I am also confident that God has something bigger planned for his life and that he was really not meant to be there. I know that it's hard to see through all of the crap but hopefully you do find comfort in the fact that you have a son who has grown up to be an amazing young man and he will indeed rise above the mediocrity that has tried to bring him down. We know what his character is and in no way should the media be allowed to define that for him or anyone else.

Adam has definitely been dealt some hard lessons in recent years but I know that it has made him who he is and just imagine the great things he will accomplish in life because he's learning these lessons at such an early age.

You and your family are amazing role models and I'm glad that I'm one of those people who don't really need the details. I know that I love you and your family and you love me. That's all I need.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Dearest Kathi-

You know already how I feel about this! I am outraged and heart-sick! But I also have so much faith in you and your wonderful family! You are all blessed to have each other in this painful time! Your strength, faith and love will get you through this!

I have no idea if the Spokesman Review will publish the editorial I sent in to Rebecca Nappi. I will follow up with her when she gets back.

In the mean time, you and your special husband and kids are in my thoughts and prayers everyday!

Martin Luther King Jr once said-

"We must accept finite disappointment
but we must never lose infinite hope!"

My prayer is that in the hurt and pain of this tough moment that infinite hope will shine through!

Much Love- Linda

LORIE said...

Kathy,

First, I have thought about you and your family lately and have poured positive thoughts your way.

Second, Good for you for writing this post. Free Speech is a blessing.

Third, Continue to keep your attitude and your head high. Your family is positive and sticks together.

The Farrell Family said...

I've been thinking about you, as a mother, going through this situation. I know that it would be difficult to see your child go through something of this nature, and not be able to help him through this. He is a talented and capable man and he will find a place where his skills and abilities are highly valued. I'll continue to pray for him.