Sunday, January 07, 2007

Countdown to Kathi's 1st Ironman

The official count down to my first Ironman Race has begun. As of January 1st 2007, there were officially 175 days until the gun goes off for the start of “Ironman Coeur d’ Alene 2007” and as I look forward and think about the magnitude of this race a smorgasbord of emotion wells up inside of me.

All at the same time there are feelings of excitement, of fear, anxiety, and anticipation, overwhelm, and nausea, adrenalin, and the looming thought of “ what in the heck was I thinking?” all which have their own physiological effect on my mental, physical and spiritual being.

I have loved watching Ironman races, and even more I have loved and been extremely inspired by cheering for others in Ironman races. Even though every time I attend one there is a desire deep down inside me that wants soooooo bad to be in the race. I have taken much comfort, in being able to say that “my race” was in the future! For some crazy reason, it was all exciting when I was able to say that my race was next year, or the year after, that sounded fun, exciting, comforting and not scary. Somewhat I’m sure in the same way that it is exciting to think about having a baby, and even if you are able to get excited about being pregnant and the process that entails, at some point along the way you are faced with the realization that you actually have to go through the long, intense, grueling, painful process of labor to get the reward!

Never the less, I am now faced with the fact that my race now has a date on the calendar of my life, I have paid my money, I have told countless people and the countdown to race day has begun for me.

Right now I am loving my training, this week I actually ran in the rain, in the snow and the freezing cold, I did a 1 hour and 45 minute swim that kicked my butt, I rode my trainer at home and did a 2 1/2 hour spin class back to back, followed by 30 minute treadmill run, and I truly loved it all. This is my 3rd season of triathlon training and the enjoyment of it has caused me to recognize a major milestone for me, because I have realized that the training, is no longer the scary part for me. This is very different from my feelings from the last 2 years. I have worked through a myriad of issues and I have successfully figured out how to work all the training hours into my life and feel like I am at a level of fitness where when my coach sends me a training schedule, I no longer look at it and think “what the heck, is he trying to kill me or what?” Instead I look at it with a sense of confidence and say bring it on, I am ready, I can do this. Even when he orders some tough interval work or speed test I am excited step up to the plate and take it on. And feel very inspired when my data shows improvement from all my hard work.

“The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success.”

Today leaves me with 168 days until the starting gun goes off for the biggest race of my life so far, Ironman Coeur d’ Alene 2007! At this point I want to be an Ironman Finisher so bad! But if I am totally honest there is this tiny voice inside me, I will call it “the fear of failure” that taunts me in my weakest moments saying, “what if you fail Kathi? You have put this goal out there in a very public way and what if you fail?” And the thought that I choose to send back to this voice of fear is: “I am in such awe of those who have gone before me and have finished this race, so much so that for me to even have the possibility of being able to call myself an Ironman, is a risk that I am willing to take, and because I know that I will never be able to suppress my internal desire to experience this race for myself.

Risk: “You cannot discover new ocean’s…unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore!”

So I am going “to do it”! However it is with mixed emotions that I say: “Ironman Coeur d’ Alene, bring it on"! Bottom line, know that I am scared to death and excited with every part of my being, all at the same time. I know that sounds conflicting or like an oxymoron, but I think in this instance for me it is fitting.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." --- Frank Herbert,

11 comments:

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi- I am SO proud of you! Look at all you have done! Look at all you have accomplished!!! Look at ALL you have overcome! I am a BIG believer in...

"FEEL THE FEAR AND
DO IT ANYWAY!!!"

I have total faith in you, and I will be there to see you go across that finish line! I can see it and hear it already!..

"Kathi Best, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!"

You are doing ALL the things necessary to succeed!

YOU ROCK!! God Bless! Love, Linda

PS Has your schedule cleared out at all for coffee the week of January 15th? Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Kathi, I'm grateful for your honesty and courage. Your journey is an inspiration to me and many others. We know that you can do it, and that you will do it -- and we'll be there to celebrate and support you all the way.

Go!

Tim (and Kris and Anna)

Roger Thompson said...

What are you, nuckin futs? I have done a few of these silly races called Ironman, but I think it's the journey, or preparation, that gets you to the finish line that all comes together when you cross that line at the end of a long day. It's like you live a year of training in about 5 seconds. You cannot believe that it all came together, and worst of all... get this... is that it's over. And this is why people sign up for them again. It's not because they are crazy, quite the opposite. It's that they have experienced something that no one else will understand other than those who have crossed that line before you. You are now one of them. But with a completely diffrent story... your story.

I am so excited for you and so happy to see you excited about training and preparing for this challenge. Not that Olympic distance races are 'easier,' they are just different. The time preparation for an Ironman is big, and you really only have one shot. No matter how you frame that, it's a little daunting. But like I have said so many times before, you make the decision before that cannon goes off if you are going to be an Ironman. You are making that decision today, tomorrow, when it rains and when it snows. That's when you make the decision. Race day is simply a parade of all of your hard work. Wave to the bystanders and hand out that candy smile of yours. Because that's what they have come to see... You.

Kim Herring said...

Well, my dear friend - I am so proud of you for embarking on this journey and your determination is absolutely an inspiration to me. I'm certainly not training for an iron distance but your journey helps me in my journey when I have set goals for myself that are higher than any previous goals.

2007 is going to be an amazing year for both of us and I will be there cheering for you on all of your training days and especially on race day. I will be out working the course and looking for you at every turn.

I look forward to losing sight of the shore with you.

Love you!

LORIE said...

I will be there to cheer you on your way. You have a fanastic support system. Thank you for sharing.

jessithompson said...

GG,

I get a big lump in my throat reading this post because I can relate to the same feelings as well as knowing what is around the corner for you.

You are truly inspirational and being willing to go after the goal in the face of fear and failure makes the victory even sweeter. And I promise you, GG, it is all worth it... every minute in the rain, every slather of bag balm on your chaffed crotch, every toe nail that falls off, every dry itchy skin cell from an overload of chlorine, every sore muscle, every drop of sweat...

I have this amazing vision of standing on the beach with you waiting for the cannon to go off, hugging and crying with fear and excitment, and taking off into the water together. Sharing that memory will be a milestone in our friendship. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

tak2lmt said...

Kathi,
This is a wonderful post. I must say that I did the same thing with the group of guys that I played hockey with. I decided to do the Ironman after watching the first race in 03. I singed up and started to workout. About six months before the race that inervoice was talking to me and saying what if I dont make it.The outer voice and the stronger voice spoke up and said I will make it and I will finish the race and I will even put my ass on the line and tell everone. So the next day I sent out a e-mail letting everyone know that I was going to race the ironman and that I was going to finish it under 12hrs.Knowing that I had 25 of my best friends that where supporting me but if I failed would let me know that I didnt make. That made me work out and TRAIN that much harder. You need to chalenge youeself and you will get to the finish. Roger is absolutly correct about the finish when you are done you realize that it is over and you dont want it to be over so you sign up for another and another and another and another and well you get my point.
Enjoy your journey the reward is worth it. May all of these comments give you inspiration along the way. I will see you at the finish line!!!!

PS,
My daughter told me she loves the ironman because you get pizza and cookies at the finish line. That makes it all worth it....

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi- It was fun just to see you for a minute at Brentwood. As I walked in and saw a YOUNG woman pouring bike oil into the garbage can..I realized it was you (looking about 35)! All of this hard work is really paying off!
You rock! God Bless! Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Your words of inspiration have pulled Debbie, Mary Lois and I into the Valley Girls, Part II. We are "training", albeit slowly, for a 46-y-o and two 60-y-o's. Hubbies are all committed to being our fan club and supporting us, to the point of joining us for our "training" program. You are now our Mentor, helping us along the way with our "schedule", and we will look to you for insight on how to be "completers" in this new aspect. We will be watching you carefully at the CDA Ironman, cheering you one, all six of us and counting...Love, Rachael

The Farrell Family said...

Just remember, every little fleeting dream of ours catches God's attention...and at the right time He will surprise us with fulfillment.

Nat said...

Kathi,

I found a poem (follows) recently that made me think of you and your phenomenal journey to Ironman, and where you have already come from to get to this point in your life. There is more to the original poem, but what I have included seems like you...

Phenomenal Woman
By Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder
where my secret lies
I'm not especially built
to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my steps
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.
I say
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth
The swing of my waist
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say
It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

That's YOU! Best of strength, skill, and stamina during the trials of training for Ironman, K. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you possess all the grit you need to finish Ironman with grace and style.

XO,

Nat