Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Night Before...


Here we are at Lake Stevens, the cool side of the state, today’s high was 97 degrees! We arrived yesterday in New Castle, where our sweet friend Cindy Doty graciously offered her home, when we pulled in the driveway, we realized why the area was called New Castle, because all the houses are amazing pieces of architecture, just like castles!! Thank you Cindy for your thoughtfulness and generosity.

After we unpacked at Cindy’s, the Thompson’s and Best’s, drove to Lake Stevens to check out the race site. We were able to get in our open water that our coach (Roger) had on our training schedules for that day. It was a great “fear buster” for me. I thought that I had become immune to the grossness of “what lies beneath”. However as Jessi and I took of from the shore to swim, we got about 50 yards out and Jessi came up laughing. As she was surveying the lake floor, she couldn’t help thinking that if it was creeping her out, it must be freaking me out!! As she came up to see if I was o.k., I had my head above water trying to talk myself out of freakingJ!! We did an out and back swim (3/4 mile) and on the way back Jessi put me through her Jessi “IRONMAN” Thompson swim boot camp! The whole way back she followed me and proceeded to bump, hit, pull, push and crowd me and my task was to keep swimming like she wasn’t bothering me!! It was an awesome “fear buster” and confidence builder for me. She is such an amazing Tri mentor!!

After the swim we drove one loop of the bike course (28 miles)! It looked a little daunting to me, my stomach started to ache. It is constant rolling hills, requiring a lot of shifting, and some that looked very steep! Today when we went to pick up our race packets, we had a chance to ride the 2nd half of the course and that was another “fear buster” for me. For once the hills actually looked worse from the car? Probably because Kevin surprised me with new Zip Racing Wheels, WOW was I surprised (1,000,000 love tank points for you honey), I am certain these race wheels will make me go fasterJ!

We are now back at Cindy’s and we are all getting our race equipment ready and our transition bags packed. Then it is time to rest and fuel my body, calm my mind and try to get a good night sleep (right). We will arise at 4:00 am to begin the pre-race rituals and journey to the start line. It is my hope to be posting my next blog as an IRONMAN 70.3 Finisher!!

Wish me Luck……….Love to all…………Kathi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS KATHI! What an accomplishment to complete a half ironman! You had an AWESOME swim time and I am not sure that I could keep up with you anymore!!! Looks like your pre-race swim got out all of the jitters. I am excited to hear about your experience.
~Jennifer


Note that I posted this under the wrong entry the first time...

LORIE said...

I'm thrilled you have chosen to blog. I will enjoy reading about your journey and getting to know you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathi, I read your blog for the first time

Signed Bonnie