Saturday, March 15, 2008



Subject: From the mouth of babes

No scripture today.


Just a lesson from my son.


If you didn't hear his team won the PAC 10 Championships, they think with the most points every scored in this event. They qualified 9 guys out of 10 for the NCAA national championships next week. Levi qualified, his only loss coming to the #1 ranked guy in the nation. His coaches and teammates have done an excellent job in getting this team ready for their peak performance at the end of the season. When they got back to campus they immediately resumed their training schedule. They arose at 5:30 am for their regular morning workout. They pushed sleds and lifted weights just like they have done all year. After their best performance in the history of their school, they went right back to work in preparation for the next level of competition.


The lesson: Levi usually calls after a practice to give me an update, my daily wrestling fix. He describes practice and gives me an evaluation of his performance. We talk about what technique he worked on; who taught him; who he drilled with; and who he went live with that day. Some days are better than others. College wrestling is an amazing grind on your body, mind, and emotions. They have been training 2-3 times per day since August. Well he had a tough go with Adam Hall yesterday. Adam simply got the best of him early on in their live matches.
Any time that you are getting beat, you notice the fatigue more; you think the room is hotter than normal; you naturally start to hope the clock would speed up and the whistle would blow to end the session. Some days in the training room a 3 minute live match can go for 5-10 minutes, easy if the coach gets a bit distracted watching a good battle. They had 8 such matches to battle through. Adam Hall was ranked in the top 15 in the nation earlier this season. He was the #1 ranked wrestler in the nation coming out of high school and wrestles at 149. Needless to say he is tough. So is Levi and every other guy in their line up for that matter.


Part of learning to be a champion is learning to get back up after a tough match or a tough day in the room. Levi bounced back today with a dominating performance in his room. He has always been good at getting back up after a tough lesson.


I needed that today in my professional life. After my masters degree, I pretty much had retired myself from anything more than the occasional clinic or collegiate educational seminar. I really didn't think that in my 40's, I would be tackling one of the most challenging college courses in my career. Actually nine of them. Well, today I failed an exam (received less than 75%). I just got back to the office, feeling rather mad at myself for not dedicating enough study-time, when Levi called with his update.


God spoke -- get back up and prepare. Prepare in such a way that you win. Prepare in such a way, that a single defeat will not knock you down for good. Losses can be humbling experiences.


However, it is usually in the midst of our greatest challenges in our life, that we find out the most about who we are.


It is also the point at which we get to make the critical decision of whether or not we will get back up to WIN.


Most importantly, given that we are going to get back up, is what we are going to change so that we don't get knocked down again.


Lord, thanks for the lesson. Thanks for talking to me through Levi. Help me to get back up to perform well. Help me to learn from my mistakes and allow me to work in such a way that I become stronger because of them. You work in wonderful ways.

Amen. Scott

Good Morning Scott,

WOW! This was a sweet gift to my heart today. You Scott Jones the man, the father and the friend have such an amazing heart. YOUR passion in life and your pursuit of excellence in everything is truly inspiring, to me this is what “LIVING” is all about, your journey on this planet blesses my life.

Congrats to Levi what an amazing experience for him. Paisley and Mead High School Dance team just came home from Nationals where they competed 4 dances and they brought home a 4th, a 2nd and two 1st Place Champion titles, plus earned a #1 National Ranking for Dance Drill. They are still on a high, great experience to work so hard and be rewarded, so your story was close to my heart today.

For me personally I have been struggling with motivation to gear my MIND up for my 2nd trip to Ironman, the first time was fun and new and this 2nd time seems more difficult to get my mind in the right place, knowing the overwhelming mountain of training mentally and physically that lie ahead of me. The 1st time my fears were would I even be able to finish, this 2nd time my fears are will I do better on not, concerns about other peoples expectations of me and not wanting to let them or myself down by not getting a better time or not having a good day, your message was heard loud and clear….

Kathi Get back up and prepare….prepare to win….prepare in a way so as not to knock myself downJ…and in the midst of the great challenge I need to look at my 2nd trip to the starting line in a positive way…. So today …I will reframe the journey for my self ….rather than be un-motivated my fear or overwhelm…. I will embrace the OPPORTUNITY so that in the midst of this great challenge in my life…I will have opportunity to learn more about myself….I will choose to WIN….what every that means in this journey.

Thanks for the blessing
Kathi

Kathi - you are really amazing.


Finishing is winning.


Training is winning.


To me, watching you get in the water is amazing and a huge win.


The example you set for others is a big win.


You have already WON in so many ways.


Enjoy! Scott

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not about the race, its about the journey to get to the starting line. The race is an execution of all your hard work!

Luv ya.
Vicki

Jen said...

Kathi...
Your post made me think of this verse:

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize. Run in such a way that you may obtain it." 1 Corinthians 9:24

So good to see you today! Hope you had an amazing run!
XOXO,
~Jen

M-Dot said...

Kathi,
You are one of the strongest women I know. You may not be the fastes but it is not always speed that wins the race it's endurance strength and integrity. How you handle yourself.
You are right you win every day when you open your eyes and you take that first breath of air.
Heavenly Father has blessed you Kathi with one more day. One more day to learn and grow that which he would like you to. That what you would like to and that what others would like to teach you as well.
Each day as I exercise my body and I start to feel down I do a silent Thank You Prayer Check in my mind something like this " Thank you father for my lungs that they can expand and take in the air you provide me, that they can expell the gasses that I do not need, Thank you for the blood in my veins that nourish my heart and my lungs that enable me to move swiftly when I want to.... etc. It will surprise you what you are so apprciative for and it allows you to think about the gifts you have through your physical abilities and mental abilities that so many people want to have and can't. Think about the ironman that finished in Kona who had ALS and as a joke he said I'll finish this thing if I have to roll across the finish line and he finished strong and dropped and rolled across the line to honor all those who could not.
Sometimes we take for granted our bodies that have been given to us. We get so set on a goal that we forget sometimes that just finishing is winning.
We have obstacles placed before us and it's how we get over and around those obstacles that matters. Did we hurt someone to achieve our goal or did we find someone and pick them up along the way despite our pain.
Stay Strong Sister! Train hard live Harder!

Michelle Huskinson

ps way to go Levi!!!

LORIE said...

Kathi: I was thrilled to see you back to blogging. And what a post to come back to. AMEN to what everyone else said. You are an inspiration to others. . . myself included. You amaze me. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Kathi~
You have always inspired me! I will be there cheering my brains out for you at Ironman!
Allison

M-Dot said...

Kathi

Hello.... What are you up to lady?
Hope your summers going well.

Michelle

LORIE said...

Kathi. . . been thinking about you. Just want you to know I am grateful for the inspiration you have given to me. Look forward to a big hug next time I see you.