Sunday, September 30, 2007

Test Anxiety

Running Test Score

F+

F… for execution
+… for effort
Last Thursday was an important training day. I was scheduled to do a Steady State Running Test!

This is not just something you spontaneously run out the door to do. There is a lot of planning that goes into preparing for an athletic test. It is really no different than an academic test as far as preparation.

I was purposeful about what I ate and drank for 72 hours before, mindful of getting proper sleep. Focused on having a good attitude about it and mental enthusiasm to rise to the challenge and perform well.

My test would require 55 minutes of actual running time, so I scheduled to fit it in between clients.

The Test was a Tempo Time Trial, 3 miles around a track with my HR steady at 162-163.

I was concentrating all morning on the timing of my nutrition, hydration and supplementation.

My plan was going along smoothly, its 30 minutes before I head out the door, and I take my Delta-E and Energy-ease!

I return a few e-mails, and then head up to get my running clothes on.

Go downstairs and get my heart rate monitor on, pick the right sunglasses for the weather, and put my iPod on, fast forward to an up beat inspiring song, get my shoes on and head out the door to Kick Ass on my test. I wind my way through my neighborhood on my way up to Mead High School Track, Go Panthers!

It is a beautiful day, I have a smile on my face, I feel strong and ready to take on a test and perform well. I weave through the neighborhood to get in my required 15 minute warm up, I work hard to get my HR up to the required 162 to start the test. I run up into Mead High School, across the parking lot and I am feeling amped and ready to tackle this test. As I get closer to the road that goes up to the track I hear myself say out loud…

“You have got to be kidding me”! I am shocked and heartsick that there is a PE class of about 50 boys out on the track.

I have 100 thoughts going through my head at lightening speed:

-this can’t be happening, I look again

-but I am so perfectly prepared

-maybe I should I just go up and do the test anyway

-oh my gosh how embarrassing

-I do not have the guts

-well I will just do a hard effort run then

-I wonder if the timing of this test is critical for my Coach for my training goals

-I will just do it tomorrow

-wait, I do not have time tomorrow

-where is another track

-do I have time to run to Northwood

-will I get back in time to pick up Paisley from school as agreed

-what if I run all the way to Northwood and there is a PE class on the track

I decide because I am to psyched and prepared for this test that I am going to chance running to Northwood.


I get to Northwood and am thrilled that there isn’t a PE class on the track, there is a lawn maintenance guy on his riding lawn mower on the grass in the middle of the track, I decide to try to act like he is not there and press on to do the test.

I get on the track, work on getting my HR at 162-163 again. I once again pick a good tune on my iPod, I find a starting line on the track and begin my watch for my 12 lap test.

I am feeling really good, the temperature is perfect 63 degrees and sunny. I am cruising around, knocking off the laps one at a time, feeling strong, breathing well, getting into a rhythm, slightly challenged to keep my HR steady with only a 2 beat variation.

I am concentrating so much on HR and counting my laps that the time flies by. Before I know it there is only 2 laps to go, I feel challenged to maintain self control to keep my HR fixed at 162-163, when what I really want to do is sprint to the finish line!

But I am feeling great and quite pleased with myself that I stayed determined to get this test done, even with the initial obstacle!

As I round the far end of the track to the straight away to my 2nd to the last lap, I hear myself say “you have got to be fricking kidding me”!

I look towards the school and like a swarm of bees here comes this huge mass of kids all running out from the school towards the track. My heart starts racing and I am thinking

-oh my gosh
-I only have 2 laps to go

-this is not happening

-oh yes it is

-how frustrating

-after all this am I going to have to do this test over again

-but I am so close to being done

-why couldn’t they have come out 4 minutes later

-can I please just finish my last 2 laps

-do I dare keep running


-I did not want to fail this test

-I don’t want to have to start all over again


-but I am so close to having this test in the bag


-the kids are staring at me


-oh my gosh this is so embarrassing
-my HR starts going up


-I look at my watch and my HR is 166


-I glance at the kids, they seem to be organizing something on the grass inside the track, moving cones, picking teams, some are putting on blue mesh penny’s


-I am trying like crazy to get my HR down but it is up to 167


-I wonder if I can finish this lap and then run out the gate and just figure my last lap by time


-but what if I am off and that screws up my whole test


-geez I am so close


-now here come the PE teachers


-they look like they are walking straight at me


-My HR is 168


-I pull my earphone out to get ready to plead with the PE teacher to finish this last lap


-I start to say, “I………)


-the PE teacher interrupts me and says, “No problem, you are fine”


-I am relieved that he is not mad


-however I am very uncomfortable and feeling very out of place as 100+ kids are all around me


-I cannot wait to get my last lap done and get out of there


-I am sweating a lot and I wonder if it is effort or anxiety


-I finish, lap my watch to record my time for the Tempo Test


-I could not get out of there fast enough.

I head out of the track area and away from Northwood. Get back out onto Farwell Road that will take be back home. I am running, enjoying the weather, good tunes, high on the fact that I completed my Damn test and hoping I will make it back home in time to pick up Paisley at 2:30pm as planned!

About ½ mile from home, I had to stop at the Stop Light Intersection on 395 and as I was waiting form the “walk” sign to illuminate, I had a moment of Mental Clarity!

Oh Gosh, I think my warm down was suppose to be done in Zone 1, which for me is a HR of 145 and realizing that I has been running at a pretty good cruising speed with a HR of 155-158! Oops! Well I’ll pay for that later this week in my training I am sure!

As I was getting close to home and thinking of sending my test data to my coach, I was literally laughing out loud! Thinking the Poor guy, Roger probably had no idea what he was getting into when he said yes to coaching me.

He is so technical…I am so not


He is so accurate….I am so not


He is so data driven…I am so not


He is so talented with technology…I am so not

Knowing his sense of Humor and his appreciation of funny stories, I will try to wrap my not so technical or accurate, test data in humor in hopes that I will get some extra credit points for effort. If not I will have to offer to do some special favors!

You all are so warped, I mean like help him grade papers or mow his lawn! Tee Hee

Fortunately for me my Coach gave me a thumbs up for a passing grade! Whew!!!!

8 comments:

jessithompson said...

I am sending you a hug and laughing out loud (with you) as I can hear your voice telling the story. Unbelievable! Thanks for sharing! XOXO

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Kathi-
Oh my gosh...talk about obstacles!
Somedays even the best laid plans just aren't meant to happen without a hitch! :)

It's fun to see the efforts you put into training and the precise nature of what you are trying to accomplish! On my 14 block walks all I have to keep track of is what number block I am on :)

YOU ROCK!
God Bless! Love Linda

Kim Herring said...

Ok that is funny and I LOVE how your FR brain solved that problem. Thank goodness you can see the big picture!

Good job on passing the test! I agree with Jessi about hearing your voice tell the story except if you were actually telling us the story it would have been much longer but I would enjoy your facial expressions!

I love you sisty!

Anonymous said...

I so anticipate with great joy reading your blog - you were "right" on with this one. I could just "see" you during the entire "test", and the look on your face and I just cannot contain the huge smile on my face. You are so funny and never cease to tickle my funny bone. This blog is so much like the Kathi I love and respect who has great enthusiasm which covers all our "bases" as your friends.
LYS, Rachael

Anonymous said...

You have some guts, girl. embarrassing doesn't even cover it. I'm impressed that you found a venu and hung in until the end.
IM material for sure, here, folks!
Nice job.
Leni

Kim said...

Kathi- possibly you have missed your calling and you should become a writer. You crack me up. Thanks for the recount! It was very entertaining and it makes me want to come back for test 2~!

Love,
Kim M.

Anonymous said...

You are such a crack up! Nobody can tell a story and give the visuals quite like you. Love you Sis! Patti

Anonymous said...

Kathi,

I had a complete de ja vu when I read your blog post! I was one of the coaches going out to Northwood's track to ref soccer matches the day I saw you running on the track!!! When I first saw you (and didn't yet recognize it was you), I said to a colleague, "Who is that lady running on our track when we are stuck at work?" Then, I noticed it was you and jogged over toward the track, but by then you were gone and I could just see the dust on the track with you running down Pittsburg toward Farwell.
Amazing obstacle and perseverance for you that day, excellent work getting 'er done!
Nat